Optical Dist sensors

Gerald Luiz gfl at dilbert.hpl.hp.com
Mon Mar 4 23:10:16 GMT 1996

> > Actually, the 300ZX don't have a distributor...the disc is attached to
> > the end of a camshaft.  I didn't understand the comment about reading
> > the code to determine the cyl #.
>
> Easy..say you put 3 different optical sensors in. Then put a pattern in front
> of them that has black and white marks which are the binary codes for the
> cylinder (000, 001, 010, 011, 100, 101, 110, 111).

Right.  I was actaully trying to say that I didn't understand the coding on
the Nissan b/c it does not have black/white patterns...just holes/slots.
They must detect the width of the pulse (slots different widths) to mark
60/120 etc.  I wonder if the end of a slot corresponds to 60 deg or the
beginning of a hole.  I expect the former.

Gerald Luiz
gluiz at hpl.hp.com