Equations..

atsakiri at ford.com atsakiri at ford.com
Thu Mar 7 14:21:41 GMT 1996

>    I need help with equations for a MAP system. I have this
> general equation.
>
>         PV=nRTe
>            P = pressure [assuming intake from MAP sensor] in KPA
>            V = Displacement of Cylinder                   in Liters
>            N = moles of atmosphere                        in Moles
>            R = Universal gas constant : 8.31L/Kpa         W/ KPA & Liters
>            T = Absolute temp !K of intake air [temp sensors job]
>
>            Could you help me nail down the real units on these
> things? I'm a second year chemistry student, and I know this
> simple Gas law but I don't know the units in this Application!!!

Here's one set of units that'll work:

P in pascals
V in meters^3
n in moles
R = 8.3143 joules/(mole*deg Kelvin)
T in deg Kelvin

>            e = Volumetric Efficiency                      Unitless
>
>            Could someone provide a formula to just get
> a cheap estimate of this term. I can't solve for it since
> I have no empirical data, also no staight substitutions work
> either: as the e terms will cancel.

Yes, e is unitless.  A very cheap formula is
e(engine speed, manifold pressure) = 0.85.  This is a great
simplification of course, but is useful in getting started.

[snip]

Good luck,

Anthony Tsakiris