Encoder (now reliability and qualified parts for diy_efi)

Jerry Wills jwills at ISI.EDU
Fri Mar 8 22:02:16 GMT 1996

Michael> I'm not trying to start a "mines better than yours" thread here. I am trying
Michael> to show that a DIY EFI project must be very reliable, or it will be a constant
Michael> problem in a daily driver. (And even worse problems in a boat or a plane.)

If you believe that did-it-yourself EFI and daily driver go together without needing
TLC before your oil changes, I believe your dreaming. The factories go way beyond the
reasonable testing to get the bugs out of production cars.  We have the advantage that
many parts we will use to build 'our' systems, are already factory qualified, but the
Auto enviroment/specs are worse than the mil specs ,in many cases. I would be proud
if the system I put together, could just meet mil spec.

I have tried to turn projects (like mech T.J. FI on a lotus)into daily drivers, and
found that I was always looking over my shoulder. I save my projects for my toys,
not my basic transport.

I want EFI on my bike, that doesn't cost what the bikes worth :^)

do the aftermarket chips for EECIV-V disable the learn and recalibrate modes,
or just change the basic lookup tables? and can they extend the RPM to 10,500.

			Jerry Wills
I'll have enough POWER when I can spin the tires at the end of the straight!
89 FJ DERSLYR,           DoD#500 KotF(Flag)       Mark Donahue, about 917's
USC/Information Sciences Institute  (USC/ISI)  SoCal (310) 822-1511 x 236
90's cowboys, ride iron horses, and punch Deer!!!
You done violated Physics, BOY!    Assume the position..... (Rider 5/92)