Encoder

dn dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Fri Mar 8 23:31:29 GMT 1996

Everybody has an opinion on this one:

> On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, Kenneth C. King wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, dn wrote:
> > > better off just buying an encoder.  Newark has 100 ppr units that look like
> > > a pot for around $35, rated for 10,000,000 revolutions.

> > greetings:
> >   help me with the math...  10M revolutions at highway speed (2500 rpm) will
> > be used up in 4000 min. (4000m * 2500r/m = 10Mrev)  that's about 66 hour, or
> > about 5 days (straight), which at 60 mph is about 4000 miles.  did i do this
> > correctly?  if so, i have a newfound respect for the mtbf of most engines!

> Actually, wouldn't it be 8000 miles since the distributor runs at half
> engine speed?  Still not a good number, but we might as well get the math
> right.
>
>  Corey Cole					colec at pr.erau.edu

Whoa!  I see what they mean about the abundance of sharpness on this list!

We were referring to installing this thing on a Briggs + Stratton one
lunger!!!   Kids, don't try this at home on your V8!!!  I realize that
this is not a useful device for a car engine, but on a B+S it would work
long enough for Jim to run his mileage contest and then some... I figure
at 1000 RPM it'll last 160 hours, that's damn near the useful life of a
B+S anyway.  I didn't think he'd want to spend more on the encoder than
the engine was worth!

Shit, now I'm gonna get 2756 undeserved messages telling me what a bonehead
I am....  Your'e right Jim, life sucks.

regards,
dn

 Darrell A. Norquay              Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
 Datalog Technology Inc.         Bang: calgary!debug!dlogtech!darrell
 Calgary, Alberta, Canada        Voice: +1 (403) 243-2220
                                 Fax:   +1 (403) 243-2872
    @ +
     <
    __/    "Absolutum Obsoletum" - If it works, it's obsolete