EFI for MR2

Cal Smith cal at Rt66.com
Fri Mar 8 23:23:49 GMT 1996

Dear DIY netter's,
        I am trying to solve a couple of problems and I think I am in the
right place--I need to know if my thoughts are correct however, so that I
won't bomb the list with inappropriate drivel. It seems to me from the
DIY_EFI website that the majority of the effort of this list is steered
into creating functional EFI/ECU systems from component digital parts, etc.
        My needs are functional fuel, ignition, turbocharger, and
tire-traction management. I don't care whether I buy or build the control
systems. To me the end result is a functional, well-performing automobile;
not the building of a custom ECU system. If a manufacturer can deliver what
I need at a fair price, I will pay for their product.
        My specific needs are an EFI system that I can control either
through a custom controller-unit (ala SDS) or via PC laptop (If the PC is
the solution, is the software included? If not, how much extra is SW?). I
need to be able to control boost levels up to 3-bar and ignition with boost
& rpm-dependent advance/retard. Most importantly with respect to ignition,
I need to be able to have the staggered twin-plug timing which is so
critical to the low-rpm operation of a Mazda rotaty (Wankel) engine. FWIW,
I would also operate the system closed-loop at part-throttle.
        The engine is the 3-rotor, 2-litre variant of the wankel, so it
will have six spark-plugs and six (staged) fuel-injectors. I merely need
the ignition to trigger the proper spark--the amplification, coil, and
spark-shaping will be handled separately.
        As for turbo control, I want to control pneumatic wastegate
actuation via a solenoid which diverts actuation air away from the
wastegate at low boost levels. Ideally the ECU would control the turbo to
provide constant mass-flow through the engine regardless of rpm
(yeah-right...anyway that's the goal...).
        As for traction-control, I want to control the wastegate actuator
and the fuel-injectors to lower boost and/or cut out fuel from random
cylinders entirely when the ABS signal from the front and rear wheels
indicates greater than 15% slip of the rear wheels.
        Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated. If you know of an
off-the-shelf system that meets my needs, please suggest it. Likewise, if
you know of mods to existing units which could make these things happen,
please drop a line. I just subscribed to the list and I hope my desires are
in-line with the charter of this organization.

Thanks,

Cal Smith
cal at cal-tech.com