What's my project

Jim Staff staffj at freenet.msp.mn.us
Wed Mar 13 22:34:57 GMT 1996

Edward Hernandez

> What are you building, kart? Powerplant? Tell us and I'm sure someone
> can help you figure out a way to qualitatively determine your WOT
> volumetric efficiency. I'm thinking you could try to monitor exhaust
> gas temperature(EGT) vs rpm, which can be done without a dyno.

    I'm building it for the Super Mileage Vehicle Competition; High School
Level. For many of you in College and associated with the automotive engineers
society (can't remember the 3 letter acronym) have done something very similar.
The object is to build a vehicle that passes a bunch of regulations, on turn
radius, length, with, hieght, weight, drivers wieght, engine horse power, engine
type (Only a Briggs and Stratton!) with a very simple object. Get the most miles
per gallon.

    Our vehicle from Eagan High School is one of the best in the state. We use a
fiberglass composite body, we have hydralic disk brakes, and a very efficient
low drag vehicle design. We only managed to get 139 MPG last year but set the
stock class (No engine modifications run record with (around, after all it's
been almost a year since then I don't really remember) 390 MPG!!! After that our
motorcycle tranny ate it and died so we got docked for the laps we couldn't
complete... Ohh well. The overall winner was Grand Rapids HS with 750 MPG. They
use a mechanical injection system that was very ancient.

    Besides that I'm all done with my system except to build it. And to replace
a part I can't find in units less than 25! If anyone out there has an extra 2 or
4 74AC11520's or 54AC11520's from Texas Instruments please let me know.

    Also If anyone is interested in helping our team, or wants more information.
(We love donations the school only gives us $400 a year) you can send a letter
to :
    Eagan High School
    Attn : Mr. Bob Knodt
    Independent School Distric 196
    4185 Braddock Trail
    Eagan, MN 55123-1575

    Mr. Bob Knodt is the instructor of the activity, if your wondering. If
anyone here is real good with electronics I'll send them a copy of my schematic
if they send a letter. I'd love to get it checked over. Also if anyone here
would works at a place that does board etching of some kind and would like to
make a gracious donation of etching my board I'd love that. I'd love it even
more if someone out there could redo my board with an autorouter as I laid out
all this stuff by hand.

    Time to stop my bleeding heart letter. Thanks for the help.

                            Jim Staff