Encoder

Jim Staff staffj at freenet.msp.mn.us
Wed Mar 13 23:39:43 GMT 1996

    I think I'l go with the optical encoded disk with the HEDS 1000 as the
detector. I only need 100 lines on the disk and the disk is 3 inches in
diameter. I can make massive marks. Besides that I can print on a 1200 DPI Laser
printer and then photographically generate the laminate wheel I need. Or even
better I have a friend who is a machinist and I'd have him machine a disk with
the right dimensions out of leaded steel with the right type of finish.
    Also a briggs want's to die below a typical 1500 RPM, without a load. Since
we have a tranny with a nuetral we would die if we ever had to stop. Another
thing is Briggs and strattons have a MTBF of several thousand hours. Of course
you have to change the oil every 100 hours, and we use zinc impregnated
synthetic oil to improve life.
   The life expectancy on the device you brought to my attention would still be
useless to me. 10,000,000 ratations at 4000 rpm (Maximum acceleration RPM in
this case) isn't that impressive. Also I need to run this bastard more than
likely 100 hours just to hammer out the kinks.

   Life does suck!!

   **Attn** : If anyone out there has an port injector rated for Å15 lbs/hr and
is willing to donate, give, or sell to me drop me a E-mail!!!!!

                            Jim Staff