Encoder

Jim Staff staffj at freenet.msp.mn.us
Wed Mar 13 23:52:34 GMT 1996

In message <3142D4CA.2715 at access.digex.net>  writes:
> >> That's less than 28 hours at 6000 rpm. Are you sure there isn't
> >> another 1000 in there?
>
> > When was the last time you saw a Briggs + Stratton doing 6000 RPM?
>
> Modified Briggs and Stratton engines used for go-kart racing spin well
> over 5000.
>
> Bill

These folowing Mods could get a Briggs & Stratton 3.5HP well into that range.

    1:) Turbocharger : I have already designed most the system, but for my
application efficiency not power is important.
    2:) Replace the crackshaft with a high efficiency crack. (I have one changed
the horse power from 3.5 to 3.9!!!) These are cool things smaller with larger
counterwieghts. They provide a smother ride too!
    3:) Fuel injection. Especially with a turbocharger could get a briggs in the
stratosphere as far as RPM goes.
    4:) A new piston : You'd melt a standard piston real quick, they're a low
grade aluminum, cheap as hell. Replacing it with a Stainless steel piston would
make it nearly flame proof.
    5:) A new connecting rod. Most are made of aluminum to, and would shear with
no problem at that speed and Horse power.
    6:) Increased compression ratio. A briggs and startton has a compression
ratio of 4.7:1 max at the factory. I like 10:1 or 11:1 much better.
    7:) Change Cam profile to a design more conducive to fuel injection.
(A lot of these changes I've considered to do with my Super Mileage Vehicle)
        Walla: A Briggs that runs at Å10HP, and 7-8000 RPM. All from a 3.5HP I'm
deranged, it's sick that I know so much about such a shitty old engine!

                                   Jim Staff