B&S ENGINES

Bill Lewis wrl at access.digex.net
Tue Mar 19 13:10:19 GMT 1996

> You can put bigger valves in, enlarge the ports, regrind the cam
> lobes, and add a larger carburetor(throttle body) but the head design
> impedes bumping up the compression ratio from its lowly value,
> and without improved cooling, the engine will self-destruct from
> seizing if the crank or connecting rod doesn't break first.
> But I still think the're a great engine.

Back in my junior high school days, we used to "shave the head" by
rubbing it against sandpaper on a glass plate.  Then we ate away some
between the valves and the edge of the cylinder wall.  Later on I
learned that was a common technique used on the Flathead Ford V8.
Called "relieving" I think.  I always prefered the Tecumseh because you
can't set the ignition timing on a Briggs.  Breaking connecting rods was
always a problem until we found a place selling heavy duty rods made
from aluminum bar stock.

These small engines are tremendous fun.

Bill