BS ENGINES

Kenneth C. King kking at HiWAAY.net
Tue Mar 19 15:29:07 GMT 1996

On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, Stephen Lamb wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to this list, but perhaps as a metallurgist I can help with
> some of this:
 [ munch ]
> Exactly, steel certainly has poor thermal conductivity relative to
> aluminium (and stainless steel is even worse).
 [ munch ]
greetings:
  perhaps, then, you could explain why going to stainless steel valves
is an 'upgrade'?  in light of it's poor heat transfer, what might be a
reasonable material for an exhaust valve (due to excessive heat)?  yea
i know titanium is the 'best' due to weight & fatigue factors, but how
well does it conduct heat?  (anna one-a, anna two-a...<cue bubbles> :)

later,
kc   (the inquisitive one)
--
"ooooh, crumbs!"if the world is nite, shine my life like a lite"live your life
with PASSION"hey waiter, there's a transvestite in my soup"hey mister, are you