Alternate fuel EFI

Michael Fawke fawkacs at ozemail.com.au
Tue Mar 19 22:39:29 GMT 1996

At 03:46 AM 19/3/1996 -0500, you wrote:

>What I was thinking
>of was replacing the evaporator, mixer and fuel control valve with a TBI
>nozzle controlled by a circuit which 'translates' the fuel control
>valve position into an on/off pulse width.  My questions are: Is my
>understanding of the way a TBI regulates fuel accurate?  How well would
>the nozzle withstand the higher pressures of propane(up to 120 PSI)?
>when the vehicle sits and under the hood heat causes vapor in the fuel
>line how well would vapor blow through the nozzle at startup?  How low
>can the fuel pressure go before the nozzle won't work(at -40 you can
>carry propane in a bucket)? finally, how many nozzles would I need to
>feed enough fuel?

Ford (Australia) offers an LPG conversion which uses the standard injectors
(multi-point) to inject LPG. The injectors have a slot cut in the side of
them and a second fuel rail fits over the outside. Liquid LPG comes from
the tank and goes through the slot with unused LPG flowing out throught
the normal fuel rail. I'm not quite sure how they do this last part....
The standard ECU is shut down and a second ECU is used - developed by
Inject Racing Developments (Melbourne, Australia). The overall package
was developed by Tickfords Engineering, but most LPG conversion centres
are now making this available.

Michael Fawke
fawkacs at ozemail.com.au