Stainless steel valves

Edward Hernandez R ehernan3 at ford.com
Wed Mar 20 19:40:19 GMT 1996

"Someone wrote about titanium valves.I think you mean
Titan-nitrid coated (once seen in a Harley sportster) They
have a golden-looking finish. The best currently used valve
material is Inconel..."

No, we have run real titanium valves. Be careful with the word
'best'. Inconel isn't light like titanium and therefore usuited
for high rpm use. I don't remember the properties of Ti either,
 except to say that it was strong enough for the Blackbird.
That said, it's funny how that plane leaked fuel until skin
warmed up...

Ed Hernandez
Ford Motor Company
ehernan3 at ed8719.pto.ford.com