Blackbird

Stephen Lamb lambs at HOTBLK.dsto.defence.gov.au
Fri Mar 22 00:45:50 GMT 1996

>        I also recall that the stated octane rating of the gas is
>130....could anybody verify this, and if so, why not run a 10:1 compression,

I understood the RON for LPG was in the 105-110 range, or about the same as
avgas

>bump the timing up a little, and run 10 psi of boost???(can't do that with
>gasoline). This seems to be a logical alternative to gasoline.  What's the

Certainly if you are running straight LPG with its higher octane rating,
there would be great benefit from boosting the CR and having more suitable
cam timeing.   In Oz the vast majority of conversions are 'dual-fuel'
meaning that you retain the petrol option.   This made sense when LPG
conversions were something of a novelty, but these days it has wide
acceptance and there are now many, many LPG outlets - especially in the
urban areas.    In fact the local LPG associations don't recommend dual
fuel conversions because of the 'compromise' tuning requirements which
reduces efficiency on both fuels, but most people still appear to want the
'peace-of-mind' of having the petrol option.

>cumbustion potential as compared with that of gasoline. It's a shame that
>such a useful petroleum product is usually burned of at the oil...

No argument there

Stephen Lamb
Dept. of Defence DSTO, AMRL
506 Lorimer Street