Off topic, but related subject matter...

Jody Shapiro jshapiro at CS.Cornell.EDU
Thu Mar 28 05:09:16 GMT 1996

Resend, but this time with the no RTF/WINMAIL.DAT crap from MS Exchange.  Sorry about that...

Welcome to the list!

>Now the off-topic, but related post mentioned in the
>subject header:
>
>I've heard rumours that a company somewhere had
>developed a system that replaces camshafts with
>computer controlled solenoids to actuate the valve train.
>Has anyone here heard the same, or know a logical point to
>start searching from? From a performance standpoint, one could program a

You may be referring to Lotus' active electro-hydraulic valvetrain.  If so, you may want to take a look at:

Dobson, C. and Drake, T. 1991 "Emissions Optimization by Camshaft Profile Switching" SAE Paper 910838

-Jody
---
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/jshapiro/jshapiro.htm