Off topic, but related subject matter...

Stephen Lamb lambs at HOTBLK.dsto.defence.gov.au
Thu Mar 28 05:09:56 GMT 1996

>         I've heard rumours that a company somewhere had developed a system
>that replaces camshafts with computer controlled solenoids to actuate the
>valve train. Has anyone here heard the same, or know a logical point to
>start searching from? From a performance standpoint, one could program a
>limitless variety of "virtual camshaft" profiles, like Honda's VTEC, or any
>of the available variable valve timing schemes. Only more so, as one is not
>limited to 2 profiles.

I think it was Renault (?) that developed a pneumatically operated valve
system for their F1 engines some years back.  Don't know much about it or
how successful it was.

Cheers

Stephen Lamb
Dept. of Defence DSTO, AMRL