VW Bosch injection

Utgarhoth at aol.com Utgarhoth at aol.com
Thu Mar 28 16:56:45 GMT 1996

Justin Carroll wrote requesting information on his VW Bus Injection System,
so being a VW and Bosch fan, I thought I'd just jump in on this one...

I believe that all injected air-cooled VW's used Bosch CIS Mechanical
injection, which doesn't really have a "computer" at all. Just a temperature
sensor for the cold-start enrichment injector, and a mechanical metering
system.  I have the same system on my '79 SAAB, and I have a '74 Beetle
which, well, hmm... is using dual Solex Carbs and no FI as yet.  CIS is very
simple and reliable and works quite well, particularly in small 4 cylinder
engines.  Bosch publishes an excellent book on their fuel injection systems,
and there is abundant information on CIS in the Bosch Automotive Handbook as
well.  Another source of good information is the Robert Bentley official VW
service manuals.

                                                    --- R. Andrew Broadhurst