TEC

Ric Rainbolt ricrain at airmail.net
Fri Mar 29 10:49:29 GMT 1996

>If I were them, I'd sue GM too.  I'm are currently using an Electromotive
>multi-coil ignition system on a '66 Coronet.  I happened to be in a GM dealer
>about a month ago, and I noticed the very same ignition system on a brand-new
>Aurora.  Looking further around the showroom, I came to the conclusion that
>GM must have bought the Electromotive ignition system.  Does anyone know if
>this was licensed or simply stolen from Electromotive?

Uh, no.  Here's what I have heard about this.

I think you are confused about the appearance of the TEC II and it
similarity to that of the new GM ignition systems.  The reason for the
similarity is... Electromotive uses the GM twin-tower coils for their
ignition sparking, making it look strikingly (ha, what a pun) similar to the
GM unit.

The lawsuit involves a "technology" whereby the spark timing is controlled
nearly independently to the CPU using a digital PLL circuit quite simlar to
the Silicon Systems 68Fxxx(?) chip.  Since I am convinced that the man who
runs Electromotive didn't invent PLL's (or even digital PLL's), I personally
think the suit is hogwash.  Just a personal opinion.  If you can't compete, sue.

Ric Rainbolt
ricrain at airmail.net