VW Bosch injection

Bill Lewis wrl at access.digex.net
Fri Mar 29 13:19:04 GMT 1996

VW has used several injection systems over the years:

D-Jetronic, 1968-197?  This system uses manifold pressure and an all
analog electronic control box.  I think it was first used on 1968 VW
Type 3.  Also used on Porsche 914, Saab, Volvo, and who knows what else.

L-Jetronic, 1975-  This system uses an air flow meter (flapper box) and
a hybrid analog/digital control box.  Available with and w/o an oxygen
sensor.  I think it was first used on 1974 Porsche 914 1.8.  Very common
on BMW, etc.  Used on VW Bug from 1975 and late Bus / Vanagon.

Motronic, This is an all digital control unit, using either an air flow
meter or a mass air sensor.  I think it was first used on BMW but shows
up on just about all European makes.  With and and w/o oxygen sensor and
knock sensors.  Used by VW on the VR6.

K-Jetronic, 1973 into the '90s.  Commonly called CIS.  This started out
as a purely mechanical continuous flow system.  First used in 1973
Porsche 911T.  VW picked it up for the Rabbit.  Seen on many European
makes.  In 1982 it became K-Jetronic Lambda, which incorporated an
oxygen sensor, a control unit, and a duty cycle solenoid valve to modify
the original mechanical system.  About 1985, KE-Jetronic, the duty cycle
valve was replaced by a voice coil actuator and a more complicated
control unit.  Added digital ignition control at the same time.

Digifant is a VW invention that's kind of a cross between L-Jetronic and
Motronic.  Found in things like 1990 Golf and Jetta.

Bill