Switching from carb to FI on a Ford (fwd)

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Sun Mar 31 02:12:06 GMT 1996

At 04:43 PM 3/28/96 -0600, you wrote:
I want to get rid of the old unreliable inefficient carb on my 84 F-150
4.9L.  (It's my tow vehicle so this is sort of Auto-X related).  I don't see
any reason why
>:I shouldn't be able to convert to a TBI system (Throttle Body Injection)
>:I just don't know where to start to look.
>:So if anyone has done this to their vehicle I'd like to hear the pros
>:and cons of it based on your experiences.  As well as your manufacturer
>:and cost.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm sure you are aware of the Holly complete kit systems so....

On my '58 chevy truck, prior to TPEFI, I used an '89 GM throttle body system
off of a truck. The swap was relatively easy.  There should be a posting of
this somewhere.
To BRIEFLY summarize:

get ECM, throttle body, pump, all sensors, electrical connectors, 7 term HEI
distributer, lots of wiring,and a service manual for the TBI system

Fab the harnes per the service manual

Test the system (off the vehicle) via check engine light and other indicators

Fabricate an adapter plate for throttle body to intake manifold carb mount

Modify exiesting fuel lines for a return fuel flow configuration.

Install TBI Fuel pump

Install Throttle body and prefabed & pretested harness

Install 7 term HEI distributer.

crank engine and work out any bugs

It's that simple. I drive Maxine ('58 chevy) every day and did not miss a
beat. I did every thing possible, without disabling the truck, first. What
was left, was completed in 6 hours. Total project cost was about $250.00
(give or take a little)

Now, for your ford... (let the flames begin!!) I THINK you could adapt this
same system (GM TBI) to your 351 / 302 ford with one extra step. Replace
your exiesting ignition module with the GM 7 term HEI ignition module. Yes,
your ford engine will be following 350 / 305 TBI fuel and timming curves. I
don't think this will be much of a problem.

I'm not sure what ford has available as far as OEM TBI systems but they
don't have a good reputation of parts interchangability between years. See
what they have FIRST.
Find out how difficult a conversion could possibly be.

I'm about to mail my complete TBI system to a friend with an 265cid '84 olds
cutlass. You guesed it....  Since the system is 350 based we expect a need
for smaller injectors, 4.3 or 3.8L v6 might be the ticket. He might get
lucky and not need too do any thing.

One more thing, If you have one of those "ford pissing on a Chevy" window
stickers you would have to remove it after the GM conversion. In this part
of the country those are shooting graphics. You could receive lead from both
sides :-)

Good luck

GMD