Honda UEGO Sensor...

Mike Klopfer klopfer at eagle.natinst.com
Thu May 2 02:06:41 GMT 1996

lndshrk at xmission.com wrote:

> I believe that the 1986 Honda Sensor is simply a current driven diffusion coated
> leanburn sensor ... like a carefully designed HEGO with a special diffusion coating,
> it is driven at a carefully selected voltage, with the current proportional to the
> AFR ...

This suggests that a normal EGO can't be used in the rich region. This is
contradictory to my understanding of the SAE paper 890299 which I attempted
to describe in a previous post. In that paper they showed a voltage versus
current diagram for a normal ego at various rich and lean lambda. The
diffusion limited current for the lean region was in the opposite direction
of the current for the rich region. For the rich region the O2 was pumped
from the atmosphere to the exhaust side where it combined with the CO and
H2. In this region the current was limited by the diffusion rate of the CO
and H2 (and perhaps the reaction rate of these with the O2). For the lean
region the diffusion limited current was from the exhaust side to the
atmosphere and was limited by the diffusion rate of the O2 on the exhaust
side.