Doppler shifted MAF sensors

TA Ratke tratke at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Thu May 9 17:07:14 GMT 1996

Mark,

I saw that very topic discussed in some detail in an old SAE Automotive
Engineering mag, I believe it was Oct. '81.  Interesting idea, but I see
it as being a real bear to calibrate.  The MAF appeared to be VERY
sensitive to turbulence etc within the airstream. In addition, the
acoustic properties of the intake system must be accounted for and
filtered.  If I remember correctly, it worked quite well once all the bugs
were worked out of the system.  I say good luck! I'll be _VERY_ impressed
if a DIY'er can get a system like that working.

Todd-

On Thu, 9 May 1996, Mark Pitts wrote:

> Anybody interested in playing with an ultrasonic, dop shift MAF sensor?
> I saw an idea somewhere, probably a year ago, for a MAF sensor that used
> an ultrasonic transducer pair to measure airspeed by dop shift... seemed
> like a very simple idea, and had the advantage of being relatively
> unintrusive to the air flow. Or for that matter does anybody out there
> know of a production version, or any more reserch into the idea???
>
> Mark

Todd Ratke	e-mail:
		tratke at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
 	  -or-  ratke at nyquist.ee.ualberta.ca