8748 add'l injector controller design

Charles cmorris at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 9 22:55:16 GMT 1996

You wrote:

>>    I have completed the breadboard of my 8748 controller which
drives two 60 lb/hr injectors (using MC3484 peak/hold drivers).

>Sounds very lilke a very ambitous  project! Is the 745i an L-jetronic
or Motronic? What did you actually replace on the stock unit?  Ihave a
528i L-jet which I would  like to improve.
>Michael Glidewell       Boston, Massachusetts	glide at shore.net

    This was designed as a _supplementary injector_ controller only -
the stock setup is still all there and unaltered. It's an L-Jetronic.
(Actually, since I increased the engine size from 3.2 to 3.5 liters, I
raised the fuel pressure from 2.5 to 3.0 bar and tightened the airflow
meter spring about five notches. The meter can "read" the bigger engine
without raising the fuel pressure, but it will run out of range sooner
if the spring is not tightened).
    A more ambitious project would be to replace the stock ECU with my
own design... but I'm not feeling up to it! The original design works
well enough that I don't want to re-invent the wheel...
What don't you like about your 528i system? Feel free to e-mail off the
list (or on).
-Charles