normaly asperated efi to turbo efi

FIScot at aol.com FIScot at aol.com
Tue May 21 11:40:03 GMT 1996

>Does any body know how much trouble it would be, to take a '85 3.8l GM V6
>with it's cute port fuel injection set up, and turbo it??

Trouble is a relative term.  Is it possible? Yes.

>I've read that MAF EFI systems and forced induction are a match made in
>heaven!

That's true.

>Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.

Nope, I like your thoughts.

>The 3.8L Grand National Regal engine is simular to the normaly asperated
>3.8L in GM's mid size sedans. Could I convert from the normaly asperated
>version with just the following changes?

No.  There are differences.  The turbo motor is a stronger engine from the
factory.

>Swap the exiesting prom, for one that's turbo ready. Peter Whales just might
>have a signature series prom just for this application. Or, did the Grand
>National just happen to use ECM #1226461? What ecm did it use?

No, they used 1227148 in the 86-87 GN's and 1226459 for the 84-85 GN's.  The
1227148 was used in the 3.8L NA SFI engines of the same period, and I think
the 3.0L FWD NA SFI engines.  The 1226459 was specific to those years of GN
only.....

>Purchase a MAP sensor for positive pressure intake systems (Grand National
>type)

The GN ECM does not use a MAP sensor.

>Blow through the exiesting MAF. What's the max mass air flow for the GM hot
>film type MAF sensors?

The GN's max at 255 gps.  It is in front of the turbo though.

>The exiesting pressure regulator is manifold referenced, and should work.
>Would it work though?

Probably if it is a 233 or 237.

>Of course, the big part is to buy the turbo and fab the exhaust and intake
>tubing. Quick work with my home made TIG set up. Could an intercooler be
>made from a radiator? Is this a dead end road, or has someone been there and
done >that? I've got a hot home built car that wispering performance.

I think it might be easier or cheaper in the long run to buy a complete GN
drivetrain.....
Not to put a damper on it though.  Go for it!  If you can get the ECM from a
NA car in a boneyard, I have the stock PROM file for the turbo GN.

Scot Sealander   FIScot at aol.com