normaly asperated efi to turbo efi

Lance Ward lance at sojourn.com
Tue May 21 02:37:57 GMT 1996

>The 3.8L Grand National Regal engine is simular to the normaly asperated
>3.8L in GM's mid size sedans. Could I convert from the normaly asperated
>version with just the following changes?

Are we talking the 3800 or the 3.8L?

>Swap the exiesting prom, for one that's turbo ready. Peter Whales just might
>have a signature series prom just for this application. Or, did the Grand
>National just happen to use ECM #1226461? What ecm did it use?

The Grand National used ECM #1227148.

>Purchase a MAP sensor for positive pressure intake systems (Grand National
type)

Standard GM 2-Bar MAP sensor (15PSI Boost)

>Blow through the exiesting MAF. What's the max mass air flow for the GM hot
>film type MAF sensors?

I'm not sure of air flow spec. for this sensor but it cannot measure the
airflow past about 250HP.

>The exiesting pressure regulator is manifold referenced, and should work.
>Would it work though?
>
>Of course, the big part is to buy the turbo and fab the exhaust and intake
>tubing. Quick work with my home made TIG set up. Could an intercooler be
>made from a radiator?

Why not just use an entire engine assy. from a GN or T-Type Regal? The block
and crank are stronger and the assembly is not too expensive. Not to mention
the fact that aftermarket parts for the turbo V-6 are plentiful, inexpensive
and work well.

Just my .02...

Lance