normaly asperated efi to turbo efi

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Tue May 21 01:16:16 GMT 1996

Does any body know how much trouble it would be, to take a '85 3.8l GM V6
with it's cute port fuel injection set up, and turbo it??

I've read that MAF EFI systems and forced induction are a match made in heaven!

Correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.

The 3.8L Grand National Regal engine is simular to the normaly asperated
3.8L in GM's mid size sedans. Could I convert from the normaly asperated
version with just the following changes?

Swap the exiesting prom, for one that's turbo ready. Peter Whales just might
have a signature series prom just for this application. Or, did the Grand
National just happen to use ECM #1226461? What ecm did it use?

Purchase a MAP sensor for positive pressure intake systems (Grand National type)

Blow through the exiesting MAF. What's the max mass air flow for the GM hot
film type MAF sensors?

The exiesting pressure regulator is manifold referenced, and should work.
Would it work though?

Of course, the big part is to buy the turbo and fab the exhaust and intake
tubing. Quick work with my home made TIG set up. Could an intercooler be
made from a radiator?

Is this a dead end road, or has someone been there and done that? I've got a
hot home built car that wispering performance.

Thanks in advance.

GMD