normaly asperated efi to turbo efi (plan)

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Sat May 25 04:29:08 GMT 1996

At 10:37 PM 5/20/96 -0400, Lance wrote:

>Are we talking the 3800 or the 3.8L?
The true 3.8l man. What's the difference?

>Why not just use an entire engine assy. from a GN or T-Type Regal? The block
>and crank are stronger and the assembly is not too expensive. Not to mention
>the fact that aftermarket parts for the turbo V-6 are plentiful, inexpensive
>and work well.
>
>Just my .02...
I do appreaciate your O2. I can't use the GN or T-Type Regal block because
I'm running a 125 transaxle. It's a mid engine rear wheel driven custom. If
any one has some info (dirt) on this transaxle, I'd love to hear it. What's
the max torque it will take.

Let me point out that I don't expect to get the HP of the GN. What I want is
somthing below 15psi of intercooled boost. I think the '85 3.8L engine has
9:1 comp, which would certianly limit the PRATICAL maximum boost. I plan to
drive this...frequently.

Scot Sealander wrote:

<...  There are differences between the 3.8L in GM's mid size sedans and the
GN.  The <turbo motor is a stronger engine from the factory.
Besides engine strength, what else is different?  In your (or any one
elses)opinion, what would be a reasonable HP/torque limit that the 3.8L
engine in GM's mid size sedans could handle?

Thanks Scott

Talltom Wrote:

<It would seem to me that one of the questions that should be asked is will it
<live if I do? From what I understand about 3.8l (former GM line mechanic that
<has rebuilt plenty of them) it took the factory to shake the bugs out of them,
<and barely held up by themselves, much less turbocharged. I'd consider a
<bicycle first.

Talltom, I always enjoy your colorfull responses. Can you give some insights
on what seemed to typically kill these engines? I'm curious about the
'factory removed' bugs also. I gather that you think the 3.8L is better
suited as a boat anchor :) ... I'd argue with you if you weren't a GM line
mechanic, so tally-ho.

Thanks for the input man.