Excessive Ignition Timing Advance Effects

Mark Mason mmason at bladeaudio.com
Fri Nov 1 00:27:38 GMT 1996

John Faubion wrote:

> First off just where are you finding 120 octane fuel and why would you need
> it for an 8:1 compression ratio?
>
> I'd watch the exhaust gas temperature. Maximum EGT usually coincides with
> the torque peak across the rpm range. Once the EGT drops on the side of
> lean detenation occurs and CHT goes up and on the other side both CHT and
> EGT drop.

The compression ratio and fuel are just an example in which I would
think excessive Ignition Advance couldn't possibly cause knock because
of the fuel's anti-knock properties. The EGT temp method sounds like a
good idea however I'd like to use the sensed variable as feedback on my
ECM. In this case I think the temp change might
be too slow to be used in a closed loop system. If EGT increases with
RPM ( I think thats what should happen? ), with the engine accelerating,
the EGT change due to parameters other than excessive ignition timing
would confuse the ECM because the change is  indistinguishable in
regards to the parameter which caused it. I'm going to do some tests to
validate my theory. Do you and anyelse have hands on experience with
this method?

Mark Mason.