Excessive Ignition Timing Advance Effects

John Faubion jfaubion at beaches.net
Mon Nov 4 04:46:45 GMT 1996

> ECM. In this case I think the temp change might
> be too slow to be used in a closed loop system. If EGT increases with

It probably would be if your wanting to adjust fuel per cycle. The ECM
would be hunting back and forth because it can check it much more often.
For kart racers it has the opposite effect. We use it to adjust the high
and low speed mixtures. We consider the response fast with all of the other
duties we are perform while this occurs.

> RPM ( I think thats what should happen? ), with the engine accelerating,
> the EGT change due to parameters other than excessive ignition timing
> would confuse the ECM because the change is  indistinguishable in

There is one variable kart racers don't have the luxury of changing. The
ignition timing is fixed and we are not allowed to change it from stock.
There is no advance/retard mechanism at all. So we have to control
detenation with mixture.

John Faubion