Lambda Sensors....

Darrell Norquay dnorquay at iul-ccs.com
Mon Nov 18 04:39:41 GMT 1996

At 03:41 PM 11/15/96 -0500, Frank/G.speed wrote:

>> Now, I don't understand the difference in a $5000+ Horiba oxygen
>> sensor and a $30 Bosch for regular cars.  I mean, I know a good
>> sensor has a wide range and can tell you the exact A/F ratio.  But
>> why are they so expensive.  Please, get techical if you have to.
>> I'd love to learn more.

One of the major differences is in the economy of scale.  You can bet there
are millions of the $30 types sold, but probably only a few thousand of the
Horiba's.  The more ya make, the cheaper they get.  Another would be the
close tolerances and individual testing / calibration required on the
analyzer sensor, whereas the garden variety production unit just has to be
close enough to meet emissions requirements.

regards
dn
dnorquay at iul-ccs.com