Air flow & such

Bosch, AN, Andrew, Dr ABOSCH at sports.uct.ac.za
Wed Nov 20 08:13:38 GMT 1996

  I have wanted to get rid of the restrictive
> flapper type in favor of the hot wire or film type used on the Motronic
 when opening the
> throttle fully from idle on the Alfa, you can hear the flapper SLAM open.
>  Does it close back partially after the initial change in pressure and
> follow rpm with load, or does it remain open?  If it remains open, then
> it must only have a linear effect under part throttle acceleration, which
> we try to avoid on the race track.

Hi! I also want to get rid of that flapper: I've seen postings on
this list from someone that, if I remember correctly, described a way
that the hot wire system can be made to work in place of the flapper
system: the problem I guess is to get the signals matched, and the
problem with THAT is that the flapper has a weird change in
resistance as you sweep across. Unfortunately, although I kept the
posting, it seems to have been deleted sometime.

As far as I know, the flapper initially overshoots a bit, which acts
as a sort of acceleration enrichment. But its wide open from about 3-
3500 rpm, anyway.

Anybody?

Sincere;y
Andrew

Dr A. N. Bosch
Physiology Department/ Sports Science Institute
University of Cape Town Medical School
P. O. Box 115
Newlands 7700
South Africa