Air Flow Measurement

RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au
Wed Nov 20 07:15:59 GMT 1996

>> What's wrong with speed-density?  And what exactly do you do to it?
>>I thought it was just found by Air=K*MAP*RPM (where K is a magic
>>constant), but I'm naive.  Am I going to get into trouble using
>>this?
>
>There is nothing wrong with speed-density, especially if you are not
>worried about emissions certification.

I get upset whenever somebody maligns the humble MAP sensor and speed
density calculation! :)  Let it be known that the ULEV Honda Accord
uses a MAP sensor and speed-density airflow calculation.

After trying to get a MAF to work with a reasonable error over the
speed-load map, I'd gladly toss it out and use a MAP sensor except
that you can't MAP and EGR at the same time.

I think if most people who swear by MAF had a reference airflow
measurement to compare it to, they'd be horrified!