Air Flow Measurement

Mazda Ebrahimi kleenair at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 21 02:40:13 GMT 1996

George M. Dailey wrote:

> Good lord, are you inferring that my hot PLATINUM wire Bosh MAF sensor,
> valued at $500.00, is more than -+ .005% off!! Say it isn't so.
>
> GMD
>
> At 08:45 AM 11/20/96 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >>I think if most people who swear by MAF had a reference airflow
> >>measurement to compare it to, they'd be horrified!
> >
> >I think you might be right.

Although I have never verified the accuracy of MAF sensors myself, SAE papers I have
read indicate MAF is very accurate.  Also, speed- density basically predicts the
efficiency of the engine at pumping air, given manifold pressure and RPM.  This
characteristic can change over the life of an engine (or even from engine to engine) in
mass produced cars.  Neither of these will cause an error with MAF.  Maybe that is a
reason why OEMs use it?