Electromotive TEC-II?

David Doddek pantera at pobox.com
Thu Nov 21 05:03:06 GMT 1996

clip...

>Is there anything especially good or bad about the Electromotive?

clip...

I have used the Electromotive Tec unit for about 5 years now and have had
very good results.  I have achieved better performance, economy,
startability, and driveability than I ever did with any carb.  And my carb
list included 3 sizes of Holleys, a Motorcraft, a Carter AVS and even a
Predator.  I have made all of the people in my car club mad at me because
when we would go on an event, I could always start my car and drive off and
they all had to warm theirs up first before they would run right.  I expect
that had a lot to do with they could not tune a carb.

The Tec is a good overall unit.  If you have no experience in fuel
injection, it can be a bit overwelming.  I have looked into some other
systems, and found the Tec to be about one of the easiest and quickest to
get running.  You only need to set about 5 values in order to get the engine
running.  After I set down and tried to relate each of the features to a
carb, then it was much easier to program.  I can start my car in 10 degree
weather or re start after a brief shutdown after a hard run on a 100 degree
day.  It has O2 control, although I do not use it.  The Tec has the ability
to pass emissions.  Chrysler sells one as a carb replacement on older jeeps
and it is carb certified.  It also has a general purpose output that can be
used to drive some item dependant on map and rpm, such as the purge canistor.

Some people claim that the company is hard to deal with.  I have not had any
trouble after I realized that they are a bit ecentric.  Their service is
good.  I had a Tec I that the coils split open.  They told me that they had
never seen this happen, and sold me the upgrade to TEC II at the repair cost
of my old unit. I think that this was fair.  Also I have never had trouble
with speed problems during cranking unless the battery was low.  In the last
5 years, I have not needed to go back to re tune the engine because of
running problems.

Hope this helps.

David J. Doddek                                          |pantera at pobox.com
Owner SGD Electronics & Development Engr for Caterpillar |h 309 685-7965
Formula SAE Team Sidewinder 94-95                        |w 309 578-2931
89 T-bird SC,  69 Fairlane w/SGD EFI                     |fx 217 428-4686
74 Pantera w/Electromotive Tec-II Twin turbos and Nitros |
Hey, If you are going to go fast, go REEEAAL FAST.       |