Air Flow Measurement

David Doddek pantera at pobox.com
Thu Nov 21 05:03:09 GMT 1996

snippie..

>So, you're saying that speed density is _very_ adequate?  I think I knew
>that??  I wanna know what's wrong with my assumptions -- why do oem's go
>to all that trouble and expense to put in MAF if it can be calculated
>from sensors already in place?  (I understand that there might be bypasses
>that degrade the data -- but seems that could be overcome.)
>

>Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>

Because things like a dirty air filter or even the brand of air filter, worn
valves, carbon in the cylinder, etc. will effect the fuel emissions of a
speed density system more than MAF.  And since the emmission system of new
cars must be warrantied for 100,000 miles, the auto maker does what ever is
necessary to make sure they do not have to repair it.

David J. Doddek                                          |pantera at pobox.com
Owner SGD Electronics & Development Engr for Caterpillar |h 309 685-7965
Formula SAE Team Sidewinder 94-95                        |w 309 578-2931
89 T-bird SC,  69 Fairlane w/SGD EFI                     |fx 217 428-4686
74 Pantera w/Electromotive Tec-II Twin turbos and Nitros |
Hey, If you are going to go fast, go REEEAAL FAST.       |