Combustion chamber & twin plugs

Kalle Pihlajasaari kalle at device.data.co.za
Tue Oct 1 22:56:09 GMT 1996

Hi Robert,

> > The 4 in line Alfa Romeo engine has had the option of twin plugs
> > in the hemmispherical head for over 26 years.  They give it about
> > 15% more power and 15% more torque and the torque peak is real low
> > at 4000 RPM.  All the current 4 cyl alfas have twin spark only.
> >
> > 1970 cc with 110 kW/6200 RPM and 187 Nm/4000 RPM
>
> what does the Alpha  use to distribute the sparks?  Do they use a
> distributor or some sort of solid state device?

In the past twin points twin coil and large distributor with
8 out and 2 in.

These days I'm not sure but could be the same but have not looked
at any new Alfas, too much plastic.

The 159i had a single spark performance engine with the first
Alfa electronic fuel injection (mechanical ones before that)
and it had a variable timing inlet cam, and it prbably had
mapped ignition though not sure, only played with one once.

I don't think Alfa have made one of the V6 engines with twin
spark but I'm sure some enthusiast have.

The new engines are 4 valve (boo) and fuel injected at least on some of the
models, probably all of them.

Cheers
Kalle Pihlajasaari     kalle at data.co.za
Interface Products     Box 15775, Doornfontein, 2028, South Africa
+27 (11) 402-7750      Fax: +27 (11) 402-7751