Combustion chamber & twin plugs

Paul Shackleton p.m.shackleton at hud.ac.uk
Wed Oct 2 08:51:10 GMT 1996

>Does anyone have any references to any work dealing with multiple
>spark plugs per cylinder?

Dave Walker, the technical editor of Cars & Car Conversions, has been =
working on a twin plug conversion of a Ford Pinto (2.0l 4 cyl) engine with =
promising results.
Apparently he had hit a performance wall with a single plug per cylinder, =
due to that plug being at one side of the chamber. Increased cam =
timing/duration and or larger valves simply moved the same peak power value =
=
higher up the rpm and hurt power lower down. Adding a plug at the other side=
 =
of the chamber gave an instant rise in power for the same engine spec, and =
allowed the use of wilder cams and larger valves for even more power. The =
limiting factor of not having enough time for the flame front to propogate =
from one side of the chamber to the other had been removed.

I can't remember which months the articles were in, but if you contact thei=
r =
back issues dept I am sure they can help.

Paul
P.M.Shackleton at hud.ac.uk