Hot cam injection volume changes

Mark Eidson mark.eidson at tempe.vlsi.com
Wed Oct 2 23:23:05 GMT 1996

I just got my '70 302 Ford running with the Holley Projection 4DI ECU.  This
is a batch fire MAP system.  The cam is a high lift (.550"), medium duration
(224 at 0.050"), hydralic roller from Crane.  The system indicates that at
least a -50% correction is required at idle, 700RPM, to get the mixture
correct if the stock 302 look up table is used.  The injection volume table
is based on RPM and MAP signal.  What kind of changes to the lookup table
are required for this type of cam?  I know the MAP signal is higher at idle
and the power output will be higher at higher RPM than the stock cam.  Is
the MAP signal higher for equivalent power at all RPM or just at idle?  I
really can't drive the car much until I can pass emission tests and license
it, so I need some idea of how to modify the stock table to get it to pass
emissions.  I only need to pass at idle and under constant load at 35MPH.
There is another value that can be modified that is similar to the main jet
called Duration offset.  It is preset at 55% which means that it is adding
55% to all points of the table.  Any ideas are welcome at this point.

Thanks, me.
* Mark Eidson                        Voice: (602)752-6513                 *
* Staff Design Engineer                Fax: (602)752-6000                 *
* Manager System Integration and                                          *
*   Verification                    E-Mail:  mark.eidson at tempe.vlsi.com   *
* VLSI Technology, Inc.                                                   *
* 8375 South River Parkway                                                *
* M/S 265                                                                 *
* Tempe, Arizona     85284                                                *