patents

Dirk Wright wright at uspto.gov
Thu Oct 3 01:45:13 GMT 1996

On Wed, 2 Oct 1996 jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us wrote:

> probably every one knows that to find patents
> you go to www.uspto.gov.

Yes, but the text searchable database only goes back to 1971. These Bosch
patents are al before then. Bosch apparently licensed some ofthe
technology for the D Jet from Bendix. Bendix started development in the
50's on electronic injection. Some of the patents show vacuum tubes!

Also, trademarks such as "D-Jetronic" are not found in the patents
themselves, so you can't search by that term. Further, many patents by
big compnies never make it to market because of either cost or reliablity
or something else. So, I had to go through the old patents by hand to
look for the ones assigned to Bosch, and then I had to determine if it
was likely to be part of the D Jet system. O yeah, that's another thing.
Systems liek the D Jet get patented in small pieces. You'll never so the
whole thing in one patent. The more I searched, the more interesting it
got. I certainly learned a bunch from reading them.

Dirk Wright 					            wright at uspto.gov
"I speak for myself and not my employer."               1974 Porsche 914 2.0
"A real hifi glows in the dark and has horns."            1965 Goodman House