FW: PC compatible motherboards

Chuck Tomlinson tomlinsc at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 4 21:56:35 GMT 1996

> From: tom cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>
>
> >By the time you get all the PC related junk working, drives, cases, power
> >supplies, etc, you might as well just go buy a nice SBC that has all the
> >stuff on it. I have seen 68332 boards for about $250 with some PD 'C'
> >compilers, and assemblers that you can develop on the PC. Besides that the
> >'332 has the TPU and other neat features that you can't possibly get on any
> >PC or add on card. And it will stay working when you hit a bump!
>
> having to put stuff in the i/o card slots would be a major hassle:
> you'd have to stabilize them so they wouldn't vibrate and even then
> they'd eventually cause probs. (sooner than later)

It's all in the mounting.  We've done suspension development for several
years with in-car PCs, usually providing a GUI and data logging services
for '332-based controllers (those TPUs _are_ mighty useful).

We beat the crap out of our suspension cars, and the old PCs have kept
right on ticking.  Remember that street cars are quite softly sprung.  We
rarely see peak vertical body accels above 2g, and then only momentarily.
If the slightest effort is made to mount the PC correctly, it will never
see enough acceleration to disturb the boards, and high frequency vibration
will be almost non-existent.

--
Chuck Tomlinson <tomlinsc at ix.netcom.com>