drive-by-wire

Mark Eidson mark.eidson at tempe.vlsi.com
Fri Oct 4 21:50:20 GMT 1996

The article, http://www.dcc.edu/vettenet/ls1-4.html, about the LS1 engine
indicates that there is some standard that is difficult to meet with a stick
transmission.  Apparently GM is the only one able to meet it with high
performance engines and the new  Vette will still be available with a stick.  me

At 02:55 PM 10/4/96 CDT, you wrote:
>Mark Pitts <saxon at zymurgy.org> Wrote:
>| in the USA guys... I've got a warped view of your country from films and
>=
>| TV and stuff, but I cant remember the last time I saw summit with a =
>| manual box. (is that what you call 'stick shift' ?)
>
>Depends on the type of car.  The only cars you typically find with sticks
>(manuals) are economy cars, some sports cars, and some trucks.  Take
>Hondas.  Most of them used to be sticks, now most of them are autos.  Of
>course, they used to be cheap cars, now they're expensive.  As far as
>sports cars go, 5.0 Mustangs are at least 50% stick, maybe more.  For some
>reason GM sports cars are usually sold with auto.  Even vettes.  Peeking in
>windows tells me that only 30% or so of vettes are sticks!!  Doesn't make
>sense, that 6 speed is a thing of beauty.  Camaros are even more lopsided.
>You hardly ever see a stick Camaro.
>

>These observations are from people I know and looking in car windows, I
>don't know any real statistics on how many sticks vs. autos get sold.
>
>--steve
>

>Steve Ravet
>sravet at bangate.compaq.com
>Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...

* Mark Eidson                        Voice: (602)752-6513                 *
* Staff Design Engineer                Fax: (602)752-6000                 *
* Manager System Integration and                                          *
*   Verification                    E-Mail:  mark.eidson at tempe.vlsi.com   *
* VLSI Technology, Inc.                                                   *
* 8375 South River Parkway                                                *
* M/S 265                                                                 *
* Tempe, Arizona     85284                                                *