FW: PC compatible motherboards

Gregory A. Parmer gparmer at acesag.auburn.edu
Fri Oct 4 21:39:32 GMT 1996

>	having to put stuff in the i/o card slots would be a major hassle:
>	you'd have to stabilize them so they wouldn't vibrate and even then
>	they'd eventually cause probs. (sooner than later)
>
>	Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas>

I'll agree with all that has been said about the necessity for
stabilization and the like, but I'd trust a notebook PC or a
SBC with a PCMCIA card smothered in insulating gel as quickly
as I'd trust anything **I** could build out of discrete components...
...not to mention the fact that I can use the leftover processing
power of a notebook 486 for a whiz-bang nice GUI display.

The nicest thing about using the PC platform is that if it
ain't small enough/fast enough/cheap enough now, it will be
by the time you're done with the prototype.

Do it however you like for your application, but I'm with
"thecomputerdude" on this one.

BTW--As a compromise to Bob's suggestion of leaving the controller
in "green" mode *all* the time, what about resetting when the
ignition is turned OFF? Surely it will have rebooted by the next
morning. :)

Why can't everyone use the platform of personal preference? It
doesn't really matter whether one uses a Z80 or a P166 as long
as it works.

-greg