drive-by-wire

Markus Strobl eusmsrt at exu.ericsson.se
Fri Oct 4 21:39:04 GMT 1996

> Mark Pitts <saxon at zymurgy.org> Wrote:
> | in the USA guys... I've got a warped view of your country from films and
> =
> | TV and stuff, but I cant remember the last time I saw summit with a =
> | manual box. (is that what you call 'stick shift' ?)

'stick shift' or 'standard' are the most common terms..

> For some
> reason GM sports cars are usually sold with auto.  Even vettes. Peeking in
> windows tells me that only 30% or so of vettes are sticks!!  Doesn't make
> sense, that 6 speed is a thing of beauty.  Camaros are even more lopsided.
> You hardly ever see a stick Camaro.

I remember when the new Camaro came out in '93 with the 6-speed they only
built 6% 6-speeds... 94% autos! For about 2 years it was just impossible to find
a 6-speed at a dealer. As soon as they got one in it was gone the same day.
Often for well *above* sticker price.

GM finally saw the light and increased 6-speed production, but in some parts
of the country it's still hard to find 6-speeds in stock.

Having grown up in Europe I don't understand how anyone would want a auto
(or slush box as I call them) instead of a stick.

So it seems Europeans have much more brains when it comes to tranmissions
but why do European cars have those small pathetic sub-3 liter engines? AFAIK
Europe never had V8 engines in 'normal' cars. Only European V8 I know of outside
expensive british sportscars or luxary cars would be the opel diplomat back
in the 60s?

> Steve Ravet

Markus '96 Camaro Z28. 6-speed (of course).