drive-by-wire

Hans Hintermaier hiha at GNF99M.nefo.med.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Oct 6 22:54:52 GMT 1996

> On Sat, 5 Oct 1996, Daniel Ridge wrote:
> >
> > PS: we were talking a while ago about non-circular pistons.
> > Wouldn't non-circular piston rings be difficult?
>
> yes, very difficult. Honda tried it one of thier racing motorcycle
> engines. They used oval-shaped pistons.

At last the engine standed nearly one whole race, but oil was empty...
They ran like hell, surrounded by a blue cloud.

VW built some test diesel engines with elliptic (not oval) shape. Not for
putting eight valves in one head as Honda did, but for making a given
4cyl engine not longer with more displacement.Because the elliptic
shaped piston has no parallel sides, it worked fine. The rings had
pressure constant all around.
BMW made (no successful) experiments somewhen in the seventies with
octagonal ceramic pistons. I don't know why they used that shape and
how they machined the rings. Ceramic was not far enough in those times and the
pistons cracked when temperature changed rapidly.

Hans
hiha@ brain.nefo.med.uni-muenchen.de
Munich / Germany