Volume of fuel injected

S. McManus mcmansp2 at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 8 22:16:33 GMT 1996

Jason:

The volume (or mass) flow rate usually given is for an injector being held
open (static flow). For example, if you took an injector rated at 200cc/min=
, supplied
it with the recommended fuel pressure, and opened it for one minute, you
should have very close to 200cc of fuel on your floor. =20

What's probably more important though is dynamic flow. You should be able
to get a spec for the volume/mass for say a 2.5 ms pulse width.  This will
be quite different than what you would calculate from the static flow,
due mainly to the fact that the fuel has mass and therefore takes a finite
amount of time to accelerate to the static flow rate.
(theoretical calculation: [volume delivered(grams)]=3D[pw(seconds)]*[static
mass flow rate(grams/sec)])

On the other hand, if you truly had a 500 ms (1/2sec) second pw, dynamic
and static flows would be practically equal.

Sean McManus
University of Washington Mechanical Engineering
=20