Ignition timing ref points

Jeffrey Giberstein Jeffrey.Giberstein at Dartmouth.EDU
Wed Oct 9 03:48:37 GMT 1996

My buddies and I have built an EFI unit for a Honda CBR600.  The stock engine
takes its ignition timing pulses off of an 8-toothed gear with one tooth
missing (so it's got 7 teeth) with a variable reluctance sensor reading it.  We
time our injection events off this wheel, and are now looking to do custom
ignition off this wheel.  If this wheel has enough resolution for Honda to do
it's spark maps, will it have enough resolution for me?  We do engine tracking
with an SSI 67F687, so the engine angle interpolation functions while between
teeth ought to be first rate, but I'm hearing all this stuff about 100-toothed
wheels, etc. so you've got me worried.

There's no concern about interrupt times because the SSI manages all that stuff
-- we just have to upload firing angles to the SSI and make sure that all that
dwell time stuff is cool.

Please let me know what you think before we put tons of time in on a system
that won't work!

Thanks,

Jeff Giberstein