PC Hardware

Stuart Baly S.Baly at BoM.gov.au
Wed Oct 9 05:10:46 GMT 1996

A few thoughts:

>But if I was really heavy into pain, and I had back door access to a major
>game house, I'd take a real close look at SEGA or PLAYSTATION or similar
>wazoo
>high end game box.  Lot of potential there - if you can get the info
>somewhere.

In Japan, Sony have released a modified Playstation with PC link to allow
owners to write their own programs. The Playstation has a 34MHz NEC RISC
processor, 2M of RAM, and a super-duper graphics chipset (from SGI, if I
remember rightly) - about 500MIPS total processing power. A 68332 might be
better suited to engine control, but a Playstation would make a thumper of
a glass panel. There is information on the Web, or at least information on
how to buy the information.

        Another suggestion for a no-frills controller - a Gameboy. A 4.2MHz
nearly-a-Z80 might not be fast enough for some, but it has a handy LCD
screen, and it wouldn't be all that hard to add I/O and memory using the
game cartridge port. Being brat-proof, it'd presumably be fairly durable.
It's also dirt cheap.
Check out  http://fly.hiwaay.net/~jfrohwei/gameboy/home.html