drive-by-wire

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Wed Oct 9 08:34:51 GMT 1996

-> BMW made (no successful) experiments somewhen in the seventies with
-> octagonal ceramic pistons. I don't know why they used that shape and
-> how they machined the rings. Ceramic was not far enough in those
-> times and the pistons cracked when temperature changed rapidly.

??? I haven't come across that one yet, but I'd imagine the flat-sided
piston let them use spring loaded seals similar to those in a Wankel.
It would neatly sidestep the problems of doing an elliptical bore.

====dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us========================DoD#978=======
  can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
==5.0 RX7 -> Tyrannosaurus RX! == SAE '82 == Denizens of Doom M/C '92==