Thermocouple in EGR port

Bruno! u933234 at student.canberra.edu.au
Fri Oct 11 07:33:11 GMT 1996

Hi all,

After having taken the head off an engine i've got lying around, i've
noticed that there is a threaded hole under the exhaust port for what my
brother tells me is for EGR. This would be a great place to put a
thermocouple for egt sensing. What i would like to know is is there some
way of putting a thermocouple in this port so that i can measure the
exhaust temperature, and if so, how could i go about fitting this in the
port.

I've thought about drilling the centre of a bolt out so that i could run
the wire through this, and the end poking into the exhaust. The issue of
insulation would come into this. The only way that i could think of
insulation between the wires at these temps is by ceramic fillers of some
sort. Do such exist? Is there some way of fastening a thermocouple into a
threaded hole that someone has come up with already? There being 4 ports
for the EGR, it could be possible to measure the temp of each cyliner
individually, and RIGHT AT the port.

Any comments would be most appreciated. Thanks.

		Bruno.  (b.marzano at student.canberra.edu.au)

	Smile. It makes people wonder what you are thinking about.