Ignition Project... or..."That dog don't hunt"

LotusM50 at aol.com LotusM50 at aol.com
Sun Oct 13 17:08:28 GMT 1996

In a message dated 96-10-12 14:12:14 EDT, jma2 at erinet.com (Jim Armstrong)
writes:

<< And it's amazing how much more reliable those cute little cars become when
 you remove any part, with possible exception of lamps, having to do with
 Lucas and replace it with OEM Bosch or Delco. This includes all ignition
 including the ballast resistor which should be replaced with part & value
 designed for the Coil. >>

Having a couple of British car, I can claim consideralbe experience with
Lucas, Price of Darkness.  What he says is quite correct.  It is quite
amazing how much better my Jensen runs with an MSD ignition (albeit using a
late model (1990) Lucas (magnetically triggered) distributor, that does
nothing but spin, with the timing controlled by a simple MSD timing
"computer".  I beleive that a Mallory distributor is available for the
Spitfire combine that with a Accell 300+ ignition box and coil (or the MSD
stuff) and I beleive you will be quite pleased with the difference.  Of
course, that won't be as much fun as doing the project you described.  (On I
secretly would like to do for the Jensen when I have the time - which i don't
even have to finish my 1975 Lotus Elite Electromotive FI conversion). If all
you want is efficiency and reliability, then go for the Mallory /Accell/MSD
stuff, If you want a real challenge, your project sounds like a good,
interesting one.  I for one, will be intently listening to how it progresses.

Cheers,

Bonn