Forwarded: Re: Air Flow Meter Modification

RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au
Mon Oct 14 04:18:35 GMT 1996

Most of the US EEC4 MAFs use a Hitachi bypass design.  I know it's
fitted to the 4-cyl Zetec - Mondeo/Contour, the 3.0L V6 from the
previous Taurus, and (judging from photos in Probst), also the 5.0L
Mustang.  Probably still being used on most of the latest versions of
all of these, but since I'm not in the US, I can't say for sure.

Looking down-stream from the up-stream side of the meter, you will see
two bores, one large one with nothing in it, a small one (the bypass)
with the hotwire probe in it.  The housing is an aluminium casting (or
aluminum if it's made in the US)

From: (Stephen Dubovsky) dubovsky at vt.edu:smtp
Date: ## 10/11/96 13:06 ##
>    If you're more ambitious, you could always build a circuit using one of
>    the non-restrictive Hitachi MAF sensors, use a Pic16 or 68HC11 and a

  MAF - mass air flow?  Like a hot wire sensor?  If so, what are their part
numbers?  Am looking for a hot wire sensor.  Was thinking of getting one
from a junkyard (anyone know of a car that uses them?) and modifying it
instead of going through the hassle of building one w/ precision
thermistors/thermocouples.

Tnx, SMD